Tips on Staying Safe with Space Heaters
SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin, Warren County are here to help after any disaster. You don't have to deal with the FIRE damage alone.
Space Heater Safety in Your Home
Anyone who has paid the bill to heat their home in the winter knows how expensive it can be to stay warm. In return, this is why so many people to turn to their trusty space heater, but is your space heater “trusty”? Did you know upwards of 25,000 house fires and 300 deaths are attributed to space heaters each year? Follow these tips to help keep warm and most importantly protect your family and home this winter.
- NEVER leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you are leaving a room or going to sleep
- Proper placement of your space heater is crucial! Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that is flammable or can burn. This includes curtains, bedding, clothes, papers, etc.
- Select the appropriate space heater for the size of your room. If you are placing the heater in a bedroom or smaller area you only need a heater rated for your space. On the other hand, if you are heating a large area don’t expect to buy a smaller rated heater to heat the entire space. That leads to overuse and can cause the smaller heater to malfunction.
- Keep children and pets away from the space heater. This may sound obvious, but many fires are caused by the heater getting covered or tipped into something flammable.
- Place your heater on a hard and flat surface. Most heaters have an auto-shutoff trigger on the bottom but it’s always best to take the proper precautions.
- As a rule of thumb plug directly into an outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire.
- Keep space heaters away from water. Refrain from running a space heater in a bathroom or humid room unless you have a bathroom safe model (which will be specified on the box at time of purchase)
These tips are to help you and your loved ones stay safe and warm. Please be ALERT and careful so you don’t become one of the 25,000 fires a year caused by a space heater.
If you do experience a fire from any source type, please respond quickly and call SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin, Warren County. As Fire and Water Damage Specialists, we have the experience, the expertise, and the advance training that enables us to get your property restored quickly and thoroughly.
The Response Process Steps of your SERVPRO
Storm Damage can cause a major interruptions to your daily routine.
Storm damage can interrupt your clients' businesses and make it difficult for them to get back on track. When you need fast, professional mitigation services, you can recommend SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin, Warren County with confidence. Its 24-hour service ensures that no matter when you call, you can depend on quick service. With one call to 931-723-8088, you set in motion a response that's Faster to Any Size Disaster.
1. Respond Within Under an Hour:
When you contact us at SERVPRO for emergency restoration, you can count on a fast response within an hour of your call. When our responder calls, he or she will gather information to plan how to approach the restoration of your client's building:
Location of building
Type of damage
Extent of damage
Our trained and professional technicians use this information to gather the appropriate supplies and equipment they may need to address the problem.
2. Arrive Within Four Hours:
Disaster doesn't wait for a time that is convenient for your client. That's why it's so important to choose a company that operates on a 24-hour basis. No matter when the damage occurs, our SERVPRO team arrives on-site within four hours of the initial call. The team members assess the damage to your client's building and compile a list of the repairs that need to be made. They can then estimate the overall cost and time it will take for completion.
3. Brief Within Eight Hours:
Because SERVPRO is always open, the restoration team that will complete the work on your client's building will be ready to brief him or her on what is needed to get it back to normal. Technicians give the building owners an overview of what to expect from the process and answer any questions they may have.
You and your clients can depend on SERVPRO for professional, 24-hour response. Regardless of when the disaster occurs, SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin, Warren County will be there to help in a timely manner.
Tips and Tricks for Fire Extinguishers
Keeping a Fire Extinguisher in your home may help save your property from severe damage.
Fires and fire damage are tragedies among renters and homeowners. But, there are ways to lessen the damage. SERVPRO® of Coffee, Franklin, Warren County is Here to Help so fires don't ruin your winter. One is having a proper fire extinguisher- especially, during the winter months. Make sure you follow these rules from our friends at the American Red Cross when it comes to having a good extinguisher:
*Always have more than one working extinguisher in your home.
*Install extinguishers high on the wall and away from any heat sources.
*If an extinguisher doesn’t work on a fire immediately, drop it and get out. Most portable extinguishers empty in 8 seconds.
*Make sure the gauge on your extinguisher is properly charged.
*Once you have the right fire extinguisher, always remember PASS:
P- Pull the pin and hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you.
A- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
S- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly
S- Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
We hope these tips and tricks keep fires and fire damage from your homes. But, if you have fire damage and need SERVPRO, we are always Here to Help. Call SERVPRO® of Coffee, Franklin, Warren County at (931) 723-8088.
Steps for an Insurance Inventory in Your Home
Inventory your home now to make life easier later!
Here at SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin and Warren County, we work to make water, fire, and mold damage “Like it never even happened.” Restoring your home after damages of these kinds occur often means replacing items that were affected, so an up-to-date home inventory can be a big help for both restoration professionals and insurance adjusters working on your claim. Also, home inventories aren’t just for home owners or for people who already have insurance; they can be a great first step in determining what level of coverage you might need, and are also valuable in seeking renter’s insurance or filing a claim as a renter.
While perhaps time-consuming at first, building a home inventory is a simple process. To get started on yours, just follow these steps:
- Go through your home room by room and take pictures of the entire room, as well as close-up pictures of individual items you would want replaced in the event of a loss
- For each item, record a description of the item, the serial number if applicable, when and where the item was purchased, and the cost at time of purchase (or appraisal of cost if actual cost is unknown)
- Add new items to your inventory as they’re added to your home, and keep copies or pictures of receipts whenever possible
- For antique items or collections, check with your insurance agent to determine if special coverage is needed
In our increasingly digital world, home inventories are easier than ever to create. You can organize one in an online spreadsheet, or check out several free app options to use directly on your phone or a tablet. In the event of an emergency at your home, your inventory can then be accessed off-site. Finally, as an extra preparedness step you can add important contact information to the bottom of your document, like the numbers for your insurance agent and for SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin, and Warren County!
Complimentary Emergency Ready Profile
Schedule a time for your free ERP
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don’t necessarily have to be.
Did you know that SERVPRO of St. Louis Central offers complementary SERVPRO Emergency READY Profiles for your business? A Emergency Ready Profile can help you minimize business interruptions by having an immediate plan of action in the event a catastrophe strikes your business. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
- A no cost assessment of your facility. This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes SERVPRO of St. Louis Central as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
This Is A FREE Service To Your Company!
Signs of Water Damage
Be on the lookout for water damage!
More American homeowners file water damage claims than you might expect. Given that about one in 50 American homeowners files water damage claims every year on their homeowner’s insurance, there’s a good chance that someone you know might have filed one last year.
Not only are water damage claims common, but they’re also growing. In fact, the insurance industry statisticians say that water damage claims have been growing annually over the past several years. But at the same time, fewer homeowners have made fire damage claims.
What you need to know about water damage
Many homeowners aren’t sure when leaks can be handled at home and when the water damage they cause need to be repaired and evaluated by professional water restoration technicians. You might notice these signs if you’re dealing with water damage that needs professional help.
You notice signs of mold, especially a musty odor. A distinctive, musty smell is one of the first signs of mold and mildew in a home. That means it’s important for you to take steps to stop the progression of mold and mildew before it grows more prevalent in your home.
Fabrics start to bleed, fade or stain. If you notice these problems with your curtains or the upholstery in your home, that can be a sign of too much moisture in your home. Don’t ignore this sign.
Your floorboards or furniture are damaged. Wet wood will start to warp within just a few days. If that happens in your home, it’s best to start seeking help from professionals who can help you restore your home.
Most of these problems won’t improve over time without professional intervention. So if you notice these issues, it’s important to start the water restoration process as soon as possible.
24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
We are available 24/7 to take care of your water damage!
SERVPRO of Coffee/Franklin/Warren Counties is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 931-723-8088.
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Coffee/Franklin/Warren Counties has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Coffee/Franklin/Warren Counties
SERVPRO of Coffee/Franklin/Warren Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
What to do After the Fire
SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin and Warren County can help you though the difficulty of a fire damage.
Suffering fire damages at your home can be a very traumatic experience. Along with the damages from the flames, your home may have soot residue, smoke odor, and water damages from firefighting efforts. Many times, the hardest part of the experience is determining “What do I do now?” once the fire is out. The U.S Fire Administration offers these “After the Fire” guidelines to help you through this tough time:
- The top priority is keeping yourself, loved ones, and pets safe. The structure of your home may be unstable, or various hazards present due to the fire damages. Always follow the instructions of the local authorities pertaining to safety in a fire damaged area.
- Contact your insurance agent. Your insurance agent can help determine what your policy covers regarding cleaning and restoration.
- Contact your mortgage company or landlord to report the fire.
- Secure important documents. If undamaged, gather items such as Social Security Information, Birth Certificates, and Passports. If these items have been damaged, you will need to formulate a plan for replacement.
In the unfortunate event that you experience a fire at your home in the Columbia area, SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin and Warren County is Here to Help. Our professional team provides fire restoration services, soot clean up, smoke odor removal, and structural drying to help restore your home. Give us a call at (931) 723-8088, We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster.
Stop Your Search with SERVPRO
SERVPRO van on site to save the day!
It was a long day at work. You are tired, sore, and are ready to relax with some delicious dinner. You open your front door and walk into a flooded house that has experienced water damage. At first, you panic and attempt to salvage some of the items that have been water damaged. But you soon realize your efforts are fruitless as the damage is too much for one person to contain. Thereafter, you pick up your phone and begin the hunt for a reliable, professional restoration company. While there may be many options to select from, here are a few reasons why SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin and Warren County is the best choice for your water damage restoration needs:
- We always answer our phones, 24/7, 365 - No answering services EVER.
- We provide FREE inspections and quotes for all water damages - No surprise invoices or last-minute attempts to collect.
- We work directly with your insurance - We work hard on restoring your property with $0 upfront costs.
- We are a local, family-owned business - Each loss is a new opportunity for us to connect with our community. We treat each home as though it was our own.
With years of industy experience and family tree that is rooted in the heart of the counties we service, we are proud to help each and every resident during their time of need. As a way to further support our community, we continue to provide FREE quotes, inspections, and decals for all residential or commercial businesses.
How Water Removal can Clean Up and Protect a Home
When wallpaper and long drapes get wet, they need to be dried out quickly to prevent mold from setting in. Should you have damage, call us at SERVPRO
Contacting Certified Technicians After a Water Damage Event in Your Home can Prevent Secondary Damages from Setting in
When an accident occurs inside a home, the confined environment often works against a homeowner. Water spilled on the floor, in any amount, can quickly evaporate, making the saturated area seem drier than it really is while at the same time significantly increasing the humidity in the air.
Homes might require water removal services for several reasons, from the appliance's multiple water lines to tubs and sinks to weather-related issues. While removing as much water as possible before SERVPRO technicians arrive is always recommended, waiting to call for professional assistance only allows damage to worsen.
Prompt attention to the immediate area can curtail the amount of damage sustained, but professional mitigation of the situation also protects your home in other locations. The additional moisture in the air from evaporated water rarely remains suspended permanently, however, and condensation on belongings or absorption of this moisture by porous items within your home can allow other, more costly problems to develop.
Once humidity has penetrated into an area, for example, behind the seams on wallpaper, that moisture becomes increasingly complicated and time intensive to extract. Water removal can prevent damage in the first place, and we use dehumidification and desiccant equipment for this purpose throughout affected homes. Our highly trained and experienced technicians received certificates from the IICRC in Water Damage Restoration (WRT), ensuring that your home receives the quality services it needs and deserves. Our goal is to restore damaged homes thoroughly, so everything is once again “Like it never even happened.”
To quickly dry out your home's saturated floors, our use of water removal equipment might include large pump trucks when standing water is present. Large air blowers and small heated pads increase the rate of evaporation. Handheld suctioning devices are useful for eliminating smaller pockets of water present. Dehumidifiers and air scrubbers remove moisture from the indoor environment before it has a chance to cause further damage.
Whenever walls and vertical structures, such as long drapes or decorative columns, are also saturated with water that has wicked upwards along their lengths, our air blowers can be directed specifically for each one. This process reduces the probability of water stains and color bleeding. When the air outside is less humid than the indoor environment, we allow windows to remain open, speeding up the process even more.
SERVPRO of Coffee, Franklin, Warren County is here to help you accomplish restoring your home to a pre-accident condition using the latest in water removal technology and qualified, skilled professionals. Call us at 931-723-8088.